Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Latest Project... Havoc Wrap

Work nears the end on a local project for Havoc Motorsports, Sign Tek and Grizzly construction. They're wrapping a race truck and we just about settled on a finished layout.

Work started by photographing the truck and getting some rough measurements, then laying it out full scale in Illustrator. All the logos and the flag was built in Illustrator then taken over to PhotoShop for the bitmap work.

The flag has a few hours in it. I did the waving part of the checkers in Illustrator then brought the image into PS for the tattered edges, drop shadows and blur top layers. That part turned out better than I thought it was going to and I was quite happy with the results.

The customer wanted flames on the hood and my first render had some lame lobster claw flames on the front. I wasnt happy with it but I figured I'd sent it off any way just to make sure I was going in the right direction with the rest of the truck.

"I want it to look like the front is on fire". So a quick trip to Istock and I found 3 different flame photos that worked pretty good. They obviously got a lot of work done on them in PS but I'm quite pleased with the results.

The PS images are full scale at 100dpi. The wrap is going to be printed on a Roland, so I've done most of my work in RGB and left the blacks as a rich CMYK mix. Mutohs and Rolands love this black instead of the usual 100% K.

No comments: